PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

March 23, 2011

Picky . . . picky . . . picky!

"Zip Neck Sweater"
Patons (Booklet 3328)
Knit Picks -- Wool of the Andes (color discontinued)
19 (50 gram balls
Needle size:  US 7 and US 9

Several years ago, my son, Hunter returned from an adventure in Eastern Africa with a few handknit sweaters.  The sweaters were well-knit and warm, and he wore them often.  I was really surprised, because he had always told me that he hated wearing sweaters.  Soon after his return, he asked me to knit him a sweater.  I was really excited about this change, and allowed him to choose the pattern and yarn color.
This half-zip pullover is what he chose, BUT . . . this is not him wearing it.  This is my Son-in-law, Trever.
After I gave the sweater to Hunter for Christmas, I didn't ever see him wearing it. 

When I asked him if he ever wore it at school (Southern Utah State University in Cedar City, UT), he said he had only ever worn it to an "Ugly Sweater" party. 
I was appalled, and vowed to never knit for him again!  I'm not really sure if he felt the color was too bright, or pattern too busy, or if he had just gained a few pounds and felt it was too tight.  Last year I discovered a fabulous new book:  Knits Men Want, written by Bruce Weinstein, with photography by Jared Flood.  I learned a lot about how men view knitted clothing, and the things they like and don't like.  In addition to these tips for selecting items to knit for the men in your life, Bruce told many personal stories about his Grandmother, who knit for him and his brother, as children.  He said they always loved the simple sweaters she would knit in muted colors.  I was so excited, that I ran straight to Hunter, forgeting my vow to "never knit for him again".  He liked almost every design in the book, and asked me to knit this one in a dark charcoal grey.
"Raglan Sleeved Henley" designed by Bruce Weinstein (Knits Men Want
Caron County - microdenier acrylic/merino wool (Charcoal)
Size 54 = 12 skeins (1780 yards)
Needle size:  US 7
Hunter loves this sweater, and wears it often.  The buttons are made from deer horn, for a more masculine look, and a simple stockinette stitch is used throughout.  There is a turn-back hem, neckband and cuffs, adding to the loose feel, and the raglan sleeve eliminates any binding at the shoulder, where Hunter is extremely broad.
My husband, Steve recently asked me to knit him a hat.  He wanted something warm, but fine gauge, so he could wear it under his hardhat.  I found the pattern for this Jacques Cousteau Hat, as a free pattern on http://ravelry.com/  
"Jacques Cousteau - Hat"
Free pattern at:  http://ravelry.com/
Caron Country - microdenier acrylic/merino wool (Charcoal)
100 grams or 234 yards
Needle size:  US 4 round & US 4 double points

I had a little more than a skein of the yarn left from Hunter's sweater, so I knit the hat up in that.  When Hunter came home for a visit, he saw it on the front seat of Steve's truck, and it was quickly confiscated.  Steve didn't let him get away with it, though, so I probably should knit up another one for him.

I love the way the crown decreases are placed in the hat.  It really does look just like the hat Jacques Cousteau is always wearing in his National Geographic specials.  Happy Knitting . . .

No comments: