PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

May 04, 2011

The Long Saga of the Green Designer Dress

Recently, while trying to locate a great birthday gift for my daughter, Emily, I ran into the following designer  dress on QVC:
The dress was designed by Marc Bower, and I thought it would be perfect for Emily.

So I ordered the dress for her in a size small.  While I was waiting for it to arrive, I decided that perhaps it was a style that I could "pull-off" as well, so I ordered another one, in a size large.  I knew that the cap sleeves would not be flattering to my flabby arms, so something knit to cover them -- entered the picture.
I found the perfect matching yarn (Patons - Silk Bamboo - 70% bamboo/30% silk), which was purchased at JoAnns Fabrics.  Then the perfect pattern was located:  "Lacy Shrug" by Joan McGowan-Michael (free pattern).    http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/


I panicked when the first dress arrived.  As you can see from the following picture, there is a gathered seam at the lower back of the dress, which was not seen in the pictures used for ordering.
I was afraid it would make me look like I had a saggy "backside".  I immediately put it on my dress form, afraid to face the fact that I would actually see my saggy "backside" in the mirror.

Once the gathering was pulled up around the waist, a saggy "booty" was no longer an issue, so I continued to knit and knit and knit.  The stitch on the shrug was lacy and easy to execute, but I have very long arms and I was continually returning to the store to purchase more yarn.
The shrug was finally finished, and pinned out for blocking.  It was added to my dress on the dressform.

Steve made me a beautiful necklace and earrings to go with it.


The extra beads were used to make a simpler necklace and larger earrings for Emily.
Emily's Birthday arrived, and she was given her dress.  It fit beautifully, and she made it look great.

Then I got up the courage to try mine on too.  I guess it looks okay?  I think I'll wear it to my Nephew, Zane's graduation from the Air Force Academy in late May.
Happy Knitting!

I'm waiting to hear from "Camille", the lucky winner of the Backzip Baby Sweater.  Thank you to all of those who signed up as "Followers".  I'm planning to have more drawings in the future!

3 comments:

Camille @ Camille's Casa said...

Yay,you fixed your comments:) I live just around the corner from Carissa, so if you are seeing her soon send it home to save on shipping. If not, email me at camillescasa@yahoo.com and I'll give you my address. I'm sooo excited!!! Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow both of you guys look great! I love the green color too! Heather

Unknown said...

congratulation!!!! I love your dress too. hugs