PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

July 27, 2011

Top Knot Baby Cap

As each of my grandchildren have arrived in the world, I have noticed that the hospitals now place a little cap on the babies, to help them keep their body temperature stabilized.  These little newborn caps, are usually just made from a tubular bandage of some kind, that is simply cut and tied in a knot.
Thus I felt the need to create my own little "Top Knot Newborn Cap".  It is a simple design, which can easily be knit in an hour, and it takes very little yarn (about 25-30 yards of soft, worsted weight yarn).  It is knit flat, and seamed up the back when finished.  It could also be knit on double-point needles, to prevent the seam.

The "top knot", is an attached I-Chord (knit on 2 - double-point needles), which has the end thread woven back in, and is tied in a loose knot.  I knit these in many colors (to match receiving blankets), for my newest grand-daughter.  My free pattern for these little hats, can be found at:  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/top-knot-newborn-cap


She was born on a Friday evening, and was featured on the local news within hours of her birth.  Her Father is the Chief Meterologist at the largest television station in Idaho Falls.  And even though her Mother's hair was sticking up in the back, Nola looked great for her TV de'but.  She has become quite a little performer, so perhaps she will grown up to be a weather girl too, or judging by this picture, maybe the host of the "travel show".

Here is Baby Lily, modeling my latest creation.  I think we should have tucked her little ear in.  This would have been rather uncomfortable, if she had been required to wear it for very long . . .

She wasn't too happy about wearing it here, but then it was 90 degrees at the time.  Her six year old sister, Meagan was the photographer, and Lily was a little wiggly.  This little blue hat is going to Camille's new little guy.  I wish you the best, Camille, when your delivery time arrives.

Heather . . . if you are reading this, here is a picture of the blessing outfit for your little expected guy.  You may notice that the pants are missing.  Carissa is knitting away, to get them done before your little guy arrives.  I know that you have been put on bed-rest, and I hope you are doing well. I also hope that you are getting some cooperation from Ella.

Happy knitting . . . to all you expectant Grandmothers out there.

No comments: