PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

May 25, 2012

Grace

"GRACE" is finished and published.  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/grace-38
A beautiful little blessing dress and bonnet for Alivia Grace.  The knitting pattern is available above.  It was knit in NaturallyCaron - Joy! in the color "snow". 

The yarn is an acrylic/bamboo mixture that is extremely soft and will be easily washable.  It was knit on US6 circular and dbl pnt needles, and was a dream to knit.

A matching bonnet was created to go with the dress, although unlike her sister, Alivia has HAIR!  So . . . it is unlikely she will be wearing it for the blessed event.

The bonnet was knit in the same lace pattern as the dress, with a spiraled crown, and I-chord ties.

Little MaryJanes were knit from a free pattern, that is available at:  Free Baby Mary Jane Booties

This was a great find on "Pinterest", which I have knit for every baby girl I know, along with my: top-knot newborn cap
In addition to Alivia's dress, I have also been knitting this pair of socks.  They were meant to be for my daughter to wear during her stay in the hospital, deliverying Alivia, but I didn't get them done in time.  Then, when I did finally finish them (a few days after the hospital visit), I found that the legs weren't stretchy enough to be worn by your average size adult.  So . . . my tall, skinny legged, grand-daughter will be getting them instead.
The socks were knit from a free pattern I found on Ravelry, which was different than any I had ever knit before.  I loved the pattern, but must have been a little "up-tight" knitting them, because they are really tight.  They were knit from toe-up, thus eliminating the need for the kitchener stitch to close the toe (I hate the kitchener stitch, as I always get mixed up in the middle of the process).  I knit both socks at the same time, on a long circular needle, which eliminated "second sock syndrome", (where I become too board to actually knit the second sock).
The pattern also had an unusual heel turn, which I love!  It has such a nice finished look, and I think it will fit my heel better than the usual "short row heel turn".  I was trying the socks on, all during the process, until after the heel turn.  What a mistake!  I didn't realize until completion that the cables around the leg of the sock would prevent it from stretching like the foot does.  A stockinette stitch instep allows for plenty of stretch, where the cables create rings of non-stretchiness.

In addition to the great toe cast-on (Judy's Magic Cast On) and the great heel turn, there was also a very stretchy method for binding off.  You can see in its relaxed mode, that the opening to these socks is very stretchy, although I cannot say the same for the leg.  I haven't knit a lot of socks, but I am fast learning what works and what does not. 

Finally, a post dedicated to knitting, as the header implies.  I've been so wrapped up in vacations, and family events, that I haven't been talking much about actual knitting, although you can bet that I was knitting the whole time.  Happy knitting . . .

1 comment:

Caytie said...

I am due with my first baby in August. I have ALWAYS wanted to knit my own blessing dresses for my little girls. But I have NEVER knit! :) I have done some crocheting on the edges of blankets and sewing baby clothes, but I saw your pattern and wondered if I am being too ambitious!? Do you think I could manage?