PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

January 28, 2013

New Beginning

The new year has brought some great "New Beginnings".

Things have been going great at work, and as one project ends, another begins.  I'll be moving to another office this week, and can't wait to get started on a new project.

January was also my turn to host my "Book Group".  A great bunch of ladies who meet monthly to discuss some of the latest great reads.
I've been a part of this group for over 10 years, and have enjoyed every minute of it.  This month we read "The Baker's Daughter", a story about a Baker in Germany during World War II, and how his daughter made her way to a little border town in Arizona.
It was a very interesting story, and even included The Baker's recipes for many baked treats.  I didn't have time to practice these recipes for our dinner that night, so I just used some of my trusty recipes for baking hot rolls, cinnamon rolls and orange rolls, to go along with two kinds of soup and salad.  You can see that my dining room is too tiny to accommodate 10 people, so we set up the table in the living room.  The night was a great success!

"Knit Nights" and knitting classes have been going great too.  I've made some fun new friends, and have introduced some very talented ladies to the art of knitting.  I'm sure they are all on their way to becoming fabulous knitters.  We'll be meeting again on Thursday, February 7, to share some Valentine's treats and great conversation.  I hope you can all come!

I purchased a new female alpaca for my husband for Christmas.  Her name is Victoria Cupcake, and she is the prettiest young girl.  We plan to have her bred in the spring, and she is sure to produce a high-grade fleece and some high quality off-spring.  I seem to have misplaced the picture of her, so I'll hope to post a picture of her soon.


The "pillow pads" I made my grandchildren for Christmas, are getting a lot of use.  Although Alivia is little small to fill her's up, I'm sure she'll grow into it eventually.  These girls are watching a new movie  . . .
. . . and were soon taking a nice nap.  Their Mother was certainly glad for a little time to herself.  She has been learning to sew, and made several little "Super Hero" capes for Christmas gifts.
This is "Super Zeke" wearing his on Christmas Eve.
Here is what is on the needles.  Another "Laura Leaves Tank", knit of Fyberspates Scrumptious in Purple.  This yarn was a gift to my daughter, which didn't get finished in time for Christmas.  She was really excited about it, and should be wearing it by Valentine's Day.
This has been a really successful design for me.  Everyone seems to want one, and I can only knit them so fast.  You can get the pattern at:  Ravelry.com
I also started a new design for my husband.  Years ago I knit him a sweater that he has worn and worn.  He loved the shape and feel of the sweater, and has worn in on many hunting trips.  He even tried to drag it out to wear to my company Christmas Party, which didn't make me too happy.
So here is the new version.  It is made of a chain-cable, a mock cable and a column of raised knit stitches, which are knit in the row below.  The color is a charcoal gray, and the yarn is Knitpicks - Andes del Campo (Mystery Heather), 100% Highland Wool.  It is sure to look a lot better at the company Christmas party, and next time I'll be wearing a smile too.
This is the Lotus Baby Blanket I just completed for the baby girl expected by my Son in May.  We can't wait for her to arrive.  My daughter-in-law chose the pattern, and it was really fun to knit.

Although the finished blanket is square, it is knit in-the-round on a circular needle.  Starting with a lotus flower in the center and radiating outward with the flower petals.  I just couldn't resist knitting some little baby booties to go with it.
I couldn't resist knitting a second one in blue.  This one is going to a cute young Mother in my knitting group.  She is expecting a baby boy in March.

Once you figure out the unusual cast-on for this lotus flower, you just want to keep making them . . .  I think I see this flower as the beginnings of cute beret too.  But, that will just have to wait awhile.

Well I guess it is time to get back to knitting.  Happy Knitting . . . . .

No comments: