PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

June 20, 2014

Crazy Weather -- ?Summer?

Utah is known for its crazy weather . . . but snow in June? That has got to be the craziest of all! We were having beautiful weather, in the 90's, but last Monday the temps dropped to the low 40's and it snowed on the mountain benches. We actually even turned our furnace back on, and sandals went back into the closet, and the sweaters came back out (Yeh, I love wearing sweaters).
Just a few weeks ago, the downtown area looked like this

Regardless, I love living in SLC. We have beautiful mountains and a lake that provides the most beautiful sunsets. Even if those mountains hold in all of the inversion air in the winter, and the lake is so salty, that not much can survive in it. It's high dessert living for me! We are supposed to have weather back in the 90's by the weekend. C-R-A-Z-Y!

I take a break from hosting a monthly knitting group in the Summer, to give everyone time for gardening, camping and other vacations. It is only June, and I already miss seeing all of these ladies! I've started planning for the Fall, when we'll all be together again, and knitting away. I've decided on the perfect KAL for 2015. The "Lady Kina" sweater, designed by Muriel Agator. It is the perfect design to flatter any age and body type. It will knit up quickly, and have a forgiving fit, which is perfect if it is your first sweater project. Bodies can be so difficult, as compared to scarves, hats, blankets or slippers. Thank heavens for stretch . . . which is exactly what knitted garments provide.
I sent out a notification about the KAL and everyone is so excited to get started, that the KAL will begin in September, instead of in January, like last year.  Perhaps this will give us time to work together on two projects in 2015.  We'll see how it goes.  Everyone is busy choosing their yarn.  We have some expectant Moms in the group, and this should be a sweater that can be worn before, during and after. 
My "Laura Leaves Tank", F2F #5, is coming along.  I decided to knit it in-the-round, because the pattern was written that way and I didn't want to figure out the leaves pattern working it flat.  It is recommended that all Custom Fit patterns be worked flat, in pieces, so I hope this works out as I had planned.  To prevent the leaves from being "wonky", I've had to move the front shaping to the side seams.  I'm a little concerned that this may make the ribbing ride up on my hips.  I guess we'll see . . . . . .

Despite the crazy weather, our garden is flourishing.  The marigolds are just on the verge of bursting into bloom.  Planting them from seeds this year, has provided for really full pots, but a little later blooming.



The hanging flower basket has really made some changes. Compare the following.
I've decided to knit my sample "Lady Kina" for my sweat, little granddaughter, who along with her friend has newly cut bangs for the summer.

. . . so, I'll be digging through my yarn stash this weekend, trying to choose the perfect yarn to compliment a 12 year old with bangs! Happy Knitting!

No comments: