PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

March 01, 2011

Emily's Leg Warmers

My daughter, Emily, was a talented dancer in her childhood through her high school and college years.  She started dancing in the 80's, during the height of the "leg warmer craze".  She had many pairs and always wore them to dance class.  I was rather surprised, when she asked me to knit some for her recently.  I thought she was planning to wear them with her expensive Italian high-shaft boots, as a protection of the nice leather, but that was not the case.  Emily is a hair stylist, and was planning to wear them with her high-heeled shoes.  Hours of standing on her feet in 4-inch heels and cold legs, always leads to night-time leg cramps.  She has been wearing them, nearly non-stop, in this cold Utah winter weather, and I was surprised to find that leg warmers were really trending again on the fashion scene.


I had trouble finding a simple pattern for the leg warmers, so I created my own.  Go to the following link to print off a copy of this free pattern. http://www.scribd.com/doc/49799545
Emily's leg warmers were knit two-at-a-time, on two short circular needles (size 3), with 3 skeins of Caron Country (Black).  They are a simple stockinette stitch, which, when knit-in-the-round only uses the "knit" stitch.  Emily, generally, always wears "black", so it wasn't possible to add any creativity, but they would be really cute in a multi-colored stripe.  Perhaps my next pair will be for my grand-daughter.  She isn't as concerned with clothing items that might make her legs look "fat".  Her legs -- look just like two sticks, anyway.

(see - - stick legs)

No comments: