PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

March 04, 2011

Knitting Take-Alongs

I like to take my knitting along, everywhere I go.  Over the years I have purchased many different kinds of containers for this purpose, purses, bags, plastic storage containers, Ziploc bags, etc. They never last, because I can't find things in their darkness; or they tip over, spilling their contents in the car; or they are too large, or too small; or the handle isn't comfortable.  Lots of money spent on containers that were donated to re-sale shops.

Two years ago, I found the perfect knitting container.  I was attending the Mountain Man Rendezvous in Ft. Bridger, Wyoming, when I spotted the perfect, hand-woven basket.  It is the perfect size, with 2 hinged handles and a flat bottom.  Light spills in through the weave, making it easy to see those things lurking in the bottom.  It holds the perfect amount of yarn, my Kindle, my glasses, my cell phone, and a wallet for my regular week-long trips to visit my daughter in Idaho, or to our houseboat on Lake Powell. I love it!  My husband loves it too, because it only cost $10 and I have continued to carry my knitting around in it for 2 whole years.  The only problem I found with it, is that double-pointed needles can easily slip through the cracks.  Have a look at it.  You may want to find a similar basket for your travelling knitting projects.



Now my husband just has to keep an eye on my purses, which I continue to purchase on a regular basis . . . oh yeh, and all of the yarn.  I have so many knitting projects in my head, but my hands just don't knit fast enough.

I have also paired down the knitting tools that I take along with me.  I usually keep a magnetic chart board, my reading glasses, a clip-on flash light (for night-time car knitting) and a small container of tools in the basket at all time.  I found a great little plastic container, that looks like an eyeglass case, which works just perfect.  I can push it down between the seat cushions in the car, or on the couch, and have easy access to any tool I might need, as I knit along.  The container currently holds, a small ruler/needle gauge, small tape measure, two stitch holders, small scissors, stitch markers, a nail file, 3 different size crochet hooks, yarn needles and a row counter. A yarn cutter is tied on a ribbon around one of the handles.  What more could you need?

No comments: