PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

March 16, 2011

Robin Hood Jacket

"Robin Hood Jacket" designed by Zoe Mellor (Adorable Knits for Tots)
Rowan -- Cork (Orange Delight 040)
Lions Brand Vanna's Choice (Deep Wine/Fibrant Apply Green)
Knit Picks -- Shine (Marmalade)

When my first grand-daughter was turning 4 years old, I ran across the pattern for this great little hooded sweater.  Some fast and furious bidding on eBay brought me the needed skiens of Rowan Cork, in the discontinued color (Orange Delight).  The sweater was knit and delivered on her birthday.  She wore it a lot, and it even came up missing for a short time.  As it turned out, her little cousin had been wearing it, when she returned to her home in Atlanta.  Needless to say, it was returned, and has had a lot of love ever since.  No one has loved that sweater like my Grandson Easton. 
These pictures of that original sweater, were taken at my Son's wedding.  It was a rainy evening, and Easton couldn't resist chasing the little bunnies around outside.  The wedding party was all outside too, in a gazebo.  You can see that the sweater has had a lot of love, as it is full of holes and has even torn through several of the buttonholes.  However, the hood worked nicely during the downpour.  There really was never any hope for his hair, as he has cowlicks all over his head.
My youngest daughter, Alex was the next one to request a Robin Hood Sweater.  Since the pattern was written for toddler sizes, some revamping was necessary to make it fit.
She is always saying, "poor baby", when I attach a tassel to the hood of a baby sweater (to be seen in a future post), so I couldn't resist attaching a "poor baby tassel" to the hood of her sweater.

When my new daughter-in-law, Laura saw Easton in his sweater in her wedding pictures, she asked me to make her one too.
Since I couldn't get the Rowan - Cork, like the original, I knit this one in Knit Picks - Shine.  The color is a little darker, but she was very happy to receive her sweater as a Christmas gift.
Alex and Laura are about the same age.  Aren't they cute together?

Easton even got a replacement, for Easter, last year.  When he saw me knitting it, he said, "Grandma - - don't you know that I hate green?" 

Since I had a green and pink sweater on the needles at the same time, I didn't really think I could give my grand-daughter's pink sweater to him . . . so he has had to tollerate the green.  Note the little wooden rolling pins as the buttons.  My husband drilled holes in the doll size rolling pins found at the craft store.
Now that Easton knows his Grandpa's favorite color is green, or maybe because his Mom has thrown the original orange one away, he is wearing the sweater more often.  Happy Knitting!

3 comments:

Carissa said...

Knowing my knitting skills, do you think this is something I could make for my 1 year-old daughter? If so, will you send me the pattern?

darl said...

How did you convert the pattern to fit an adult? I would love to make one for my daughter also!

Cossers said...

I've just knitted 2 of these jackets for my grandsons, without the hood but with a collar instead. I'm thrilled with the results and I would love to knit the Robin Hood jacket for myself (zize UK 10/12, bust 34in) but haven't got enough experience to size up from the toddler pattern. Can you help, please?!