PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

April 28, 2011

Summer Vine Sweater

As the weather finally begins to warm, I remembered a great little summer sweater I knit for my daughters several years ago. 
Like before, I couldn't locate the pattern for this sweater, and I can't even remember what type of yarn I used.  Seriously, I am no help to those of you who are looking for a great summer knit.  I'm pretty sure the pattern was shown in the Patternworks catalog, and I think it was published in a book of summer knitting patterns.
The vine pattern on the bodice was knit in two pieces.  It was then turned and  the back and shoulders were picked up from under the arm to the neck edge and knit in one long piece over the shoulder to just below the shoulder blades.  The two shoulder pieces were then seamed together up the back.  To finish the lower body, stitches were picked-up along the lower edge of bodice and knit in the round, in stockinette stitch down to the ribbing at the bottom.  In addition, the sleeve ribbing was picked up and knit in the round.
The orange sweater was knit for Emily.  She must not have liked it much, because Carissa saved it from her goodwill donation bag.  (My children just don't appreciate my knitting talent).  Carissa loved her's though and was excited to have a second one.  Laura is modelling it in these pictures.
Laura really liked the sweater, and I convinced Carissa that the color looked better on Laura, with the red cast of her hair.  So . . . the sweater now belongs to Laura.  She will likely have to thread the front tie differently, to correct the center gap in the bust.  If the sweater had been knit for her originally, I would have accommodated for this problem in the knitting process.

The sweater is nice and cool for hot summer afternoons.  The yarn is a cotton/acrylic blend, that lends to the breathability of the top, as well as making it machine washable.  As you are aware, barbeque sauce seems to drip on everything we wear in the summer. 

I have been knitting away on some new things, as well as designing some new patterns.  I hope to have some of them ready for posting soon.  Happy Knitting!

The drawing for the baby sweater will be held on Saturday (April 30, 2011).  The lucky winner will be contacted for mailing information.  If you are interested in having it, simply sign-up as a "Follower" to this blog.  The i-Name of the winner will be posted next week.

1 comment:

Audrey said...

It's 12:11 now... technically May 1st... I'm dying to find out who the winner is! :)