PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

June 17, 2011

Lavender Shoulder Warmer

On Mother's Day, I was given a beautiful, lavender lace dress.  It fit perfectly, but the 3/4 sleeves were sheer lace, and my arms are not my best trait.  So I went to http://ravelry.com/ in search of a small jacket or shrug, that could be worn over the dress.  I found this great knitting pattern, designed by Laura Chau:

“Shoulder Warmer”
Designed by:  Laura Chau
Size:  L (Bust 40”)
Needle size:  5mm (US 8) and 5.5mm (US 9)
Knit Picks – CotLin DK Yarn (Whisper)
6 balls

Here is the finished product, modeled by "my body double".  I lengthened the 3/4 sleeves, shown on the pattern, to a bracelet-length sleeve.

It was knit from the top-down, with a raglan sleeve.  I always think a raglan sleeve is flattering.  It gives the shoulder-line a perfect fit.  The wrap-around ribbing was picked-up from the body stitches and ribbed in two-size needles (US8 for 2" & US9 for 3"), to allow the border to flare-out on the body.  The back-neck can be worn rolled over a bit, or it can be worn up on the back of the neck.

 After the cast-off, it had a tendancy to overstretch at the ribbing edge, making it flare away from the body and not hold it's shape, so added a loose crocheted edging to pull it back in.  I think this occurred as a result of the type of yarn I selected.  The yarn is a linen/cotton blend, which I thought would be cool for the Summer.  The yarn had no natural stretch to it, so it had no stretch and recovery, other than what was knit-in.  In the future, I do not plan to switch to the larger needles, if I am using the same type yarn.
The yarn was purchased on-line, and as you know, not all computer monitors portray color in the same way. I took a chance that the yarn would match the dress.  Purple tones are always difficult to match, but I got lucky . . . it worked out this time.

Here I am wearing the finished product.  I was really happy with the outcome.

Flabby arms are always best hidden, rather than flapping around in the wind.

My husband was getting a little creative with the camera.  I really was not preparing to go under the limbo stick.  I hope you knitters will purchase this pattern and give it a try,  It is the perfect little Summer cover-up, even worn over a tank top or cami. 

I am blocking the Krista Tee (shown in "on the needles" to the right).  It should be ready for posting next week.  And, I am know working on the 5th test-knit of my new original pattern (Lori Shrugged).  I'm having a little difficulty getting my Store set-up on http://ravelry.com/, but I hope to have everything resolved soon.  When that is accomplished, I will post pictures of the new pattern.  By that time, I should have 6 of them knit, so I should be able to show you samples of several sizes, knit in several different type yarns.  Happy Knitting!

No comments: