PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

January 04, 2012

Christmas Craziness

Phew . . . Christmas has come and gone for another year.  It was a great one, but I am exhausted!
12 sets of felted slippers.  I created a crocheted version this year, in hopes of saving a little time.  It did cut a few hours out of each set, but ended up giving me tendonitis, as I'm not used to crocheting so much.  You can find the pattern at:  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crochet-felted-slippers.  I'm still trying to shake the tendonitis, but I'm sure that making one or two pairs, won't cause you the same.
As much work as they were, each of the slipper gifts was greatly appreciated.  This made the effort worth every minute.

14 hot water bottle covers were knit for my neighbors and co-workers.  I can't take complete credit, as my Mother knit 6 of them.  I gifted one of the covers I knit back to her, and the last one (seen below) will be given away to one of the "Followers" of this blog, on January 31, 2012.  Get signed up, so I can send it to you! 
I was worried that these long-time favorites would be too old to be remembered, for their usefulness.  My children didn't even know what they were, but those who received them as gifts, were all excited and quick to tell me what they had planned for theirs'.  If you are interested in knitting your own, you can find the free pattern at:  http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hot-water-bottle-cover-30.


Along with all of the other craziness, I knit two hooded cardigans for my daughter-in-law to give to her Mother and Little Sister for Christmas.  This is the "Ilene" version.
This is the back view of Ilene.  I've written a pattern for each cardigan. 

A different cable pattern was used on each.  The pattern is currently in the review stage, in hopes of catching any errors, and to develop charts for the stitch patterns.

This is "Rachel", the little sister version. 
This is "Rachel's" back view.  You'll note that she is knit from the top-down, with raglan sleeves.  The sleeves were placed on stitch holders, while the body was created.  The sleeves were then placed on the needles and knit at the same time.  Stitches were picked-up around the neck to create the hood, which was knit flat, and seamed together along the top.  And, of course, I had to add a "poor baby" tassle to each.
"Rachel" has this cable stitch pattern.  Watch for the "Ilene and Rachel" Hooded Cardigan pattern on Ravelry.  I hope to publish the pattern there soon.

I hope all of your Christmas knitting was a success.  I'm so glad to slow things down, and get started writing and knitting some of designs that have been floating around in my head for the past several months.  Christmas night provided a few hours to start swatching for these designs.  During the week that followed, I was able to write the pattern for a Toddler's Hooded Jacket with a round yoke. 
My daughter took this pattern back to Idaho with her.  She will be test-knitting the design for me.  She is a beginning knitter. 

She is currently expecting twins and has just started her own call-in radio show, so I don't expect she'll have a lot of time to spend on this jacket.  If you are interested in giving her a little support, you can listen to her show  on Monday through Friday from 11:00 to 1:00 MST on "Local NewsTalk with Carissa Coats".  I'm sure she would love to receive a call from you too, if you want to speak to the issues she is discussing.

This is the "Lisa Vest", which I am "test knitting" myself.  This is the back, with armhole shaping, but once the armholes have been established, it will be knit in a circle.  When finished, it will overlap in the front, with a large shall collar, and it will be longer in the back.  I haven't decided whether it will have one large button, or if I will secure it in the front with a sweater pick.  The picture appears to be in "black and white", but this is the actual color of the yarn, a black, gray and white varigation.  I was hoping for a salt and pepper effect.  I'll have all of the yarn details published with the pattern, so stay tuned . . .   

2012 appears to be a very good year, as long as we all survive to see 2013.  The Mayan Calendar will be running out  on December 21, so who knows what will be happening.  Remember the big melt-down expected in 2000, and we're still here!  Happy New Year . . . . and happy knitting!

No comments: