PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

January 12, 2012

Happy New Year - Resolutions

Happy New Year everyone!  I wanted to thank each of you who have been following my blog over the past 9 months.  It has been a transforming experience for me.  Along with blogging, I have designed 10 original knitted items and have written a pattern for each. Knit-Zilla Knitting Patterns. There has been a huge learning curve involved, but I think I am improving every day, and it has been a joy to talk to you about our joint interest in knitting.  Knitting has always been my instant relaxation technique.  It also keeps me from doing that "hand-to-mouth" thing called "snacking".

As 2012 begins, I have made a two simple resolutions for my life in the coming year:

Resolution #1.  To lose the 10 pounds I managed to pack-on in 2011.  I have set this one in motion, by joining a gym.  So far, I have been diligent in going and working really hard at meeting my goal.  However, the scales indicate that I have gained 1 pound for each day I have done this.  Everyone says I am gaining muscle, and it weighs more than fat, but my pants are not telling this tale.  They are a little tight!  Oh well . . . I shall prevail . . . I hope?

Resolution #2.  To learn to say "NO", when asked to perform a task for which I will be resentful for not being paid for my time.  This one is going to be HARD for me.  I always get caught in that "feeling flattered" mode, when someone asks me to re-create something I have made, for them.  This flattering feeling quickly turns to resentment though, when I start putting hours and hours of my time into the creation of this item.  The resentment quickly turns to anger, and I always take it out on those I care the most about.  And for some reason, these requesters almost always forget to say, "thank you".   I've decided I wouldn't mind filling these requests, if I were paid for doing them.  So . . . my plan is to calculate the time and cost involved in making the requested item, and telling the requester that I charge a meager $10 per hour.  If they still want the item, I'll happily proceed.  Otherwise, I'll know that person will no longer be making requests.  This process will not include my family, as I love to knit, and sew, and cook for them.  And my sisters always have an interesting trade worked out, whenever they make these type of requests.  Well . . . here we go.  Hopefully, I won't be making this resolution again next year.
In 2010, I knit this Jenny Watson design from the Queenslace Collection, for my daughter.  It took me about 4 weeks to complete, and it was knit from Caron, Spa - a soft bamboo yarn.
I just loved the lace stitch pattern and the softness of the yarn.  It was really fun to knit.  My husband thought the pattern looked like shark skin.
At the beginning of 2011, I decided to knit me one too.  I chose the same bamboo yarn, in a color that I love to wear, and started knitting . . . thinking it would easily be done by the end of January.

It was a cold winter, so I started by making this "Infinity Scarf" in the same lace pattern.  It worked up quickly, and I quickly did the cast-on for the sweater.  That was when I was derailed. I decided I needed to knit a warm vest for my Dad's birthday (in a former post), as the apartment he was living in was really drafty.  After that project was complete, I started getting requests from various other people for knitted items they needed, or wanted.
It was June before I had the body completed and pinned out for blocking.  The fit was perfect, and I was so excited to finish it.  It was summer, but I thought it would be light enough to wear as summer turned to fall.  That didn't happen, as once again, I was pulled towards other projects.
In October, I started my Christmas knitting, but a cruise became the perfect opportunity to knit the sleeves to complete my sweater.  The items I was knitting for Christmas, at the time, were too bulky to fit in my purse, for easy knitting on the plane, the tender to various ports, and on the deck of the ship.  There wasn't a lot of knitting time, but I did manage to complete the sleeves a few days after my return. 
After blocking, the sleeves were flipped over the end of the daybed in my sewing room.  I was too busy with Christmas knitting to sew them into the body.
 Finally, on Christmas Night, I found the time to sew the sleeves into the sweater.  I was so pleased.  The fit was perfect.
And the scarf went with it beautifully.  Jenny Watson is definitely a designer that I will be closely following.  Her patterns are carefully written, and easy to understand.
Don't forget.  On January 31, 2012, I will be drawing a "Follower's" name . . . to win this Hot Water Bottle and Knit Cover.  If you are already a "Follower", no need to sign-up again, your name will be included.  If you are interested in winning, simply sign up as a "Follower".  If you would like to make your own, you can find the free pattern at:  Free Hot Water Bottle Pattern.

This is my first funny knitting experience for 2012 . . . I thought I would share:

Yesterday, I walked into the parking garage where I work, to go get some lunch.  When I opened the passenger-side door of my car, a cat jumped out.  It scared me, and I screamed . . . right out loud.  Then I looked down, and found the cat that came out of my car, was actually my knitting.  I am working on a black, gray & white vest.  I was quite embarrassed, and quickly looked around to see if anyone had heard me.  As best as I could tell, no one was coming to my aid, and I couldn't stop laughing, as I drove off to get my lunch.  Perhaps I should name this design "The Cat Vest"?

Let me know if you have any knitting stories to share, as I think a collection of such tales would make a great read.  You can simply add your story as a comment below, or e-mail it to me at:  knitzillaknits@gmail.com.

Happy Knitting!

No comments: