PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

September 20, 2012

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

First, the good:
The Beginning Knitting Class I, was a great success.  Everyone arrived excited to learn how to knit.
Some already new the basics of the knit and purl stitches, but were excited to learn the long-tail cast-on.

Slippery needles and slick yarn can make learning a challenge, but everyone was determined, and some beautiful knitters were born.

It was fun to learn more about each other, along with the knits and purls.

We laughed and struggled together.  Some were natural-born knitters, and others will just need a little more practice.  We tackled the long-tail cast-on; the knit stitch; the purl stitch; ribbing, seed stitch and garter stitch; along with the bind-off. 

In the Beginning Knitting Class II, we will learn buttonholes, blocking, gauge & swatching, left and right decreases, and increases  This class will be held on October 24, and anyone is welcome to join in.  Our next "Knit Night" will be held on October 4.  It is a "Witch Knit", so put on your best witch garb and join us for a good "cackle".

And now for the bad:

I've finished my "Cabled Embrace".  You may remember the one Joan knit from my last post.  I loved her's so much, that I had to quickly cast-on for my own.  It was a disaster.
Along with the continuous struggle I have with my weight, I also never believe the tape measure.  I always think I am larger than I actually am.  As you can see, my "Cabled Embrace" was knit in too large a size.  The waste is too long, the neckline dips too low, and the back has a huge gap.
It was definitely not the fault of the designer.  Marie Lee of Black Dog Fiber Studio was the designer, and she did a beautiful job in writing this pattern.  It was knit sideways, thus there was no gauge, and very little stretch around the body.  I should have thought about this.  I do know better.  Marie added  wonderful body shaping in the form of short rows, which gives it the perfect fit, if knit in the right side.

The Ugly:  To top it off, I even sewed the buttons on crooked.  This vest is off to the "frog pond".  I will be spending the next few evenings frogging (ripping) this vest back to the start, and beginning again.  This time I'll opt for my actual size.  My continual fear of a few extra pounds will not make a difference.  I keep telling myself!  Perhaps I should do some of the frogging, while on the treadmill. 

For the second time, I've run out of yarn for my "Laura's Leaves Tank".  I have only a 3 foot section of underarm to bind off, but will need a whole new hank to finish it off.  I've ordered another hank, and should have it finished for my next post.  urrrrgh!  Some projects can be such a challenge.  I hope your knitting is going a little smoother than mine.  Happy Knitting.

No comments: