PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

March 18, 2014

My Alltime Favorite Yarn


Way back in 2008, I knit a little "Robin Hood Jacket" by Zoe Mellor for my six year old grand-daughter.  It was knit from what quickly became my favorite yarn:  ROWAN CORK.  The yarn was soft and washable, it was durable and held such beautiful color.  When I discovered this yarn, it had already been discontinued, so I had to battle-it-out with other knitters on eBay, to get the needed skeins.  Luckily, I won the yarn in a beautiful orange and I quickly started my knitting.
This is how that sweater looks today. My daughter recently returned it to me, as each of her children have grown out of it. It was so well loved, and abused. Buttons are missing, buttonholes are torn through, the tassel from the hood is missing, seaming has come unsewn and various holes have been torn in it from many hours of outdoor play. But . . . it is still soft, and cuddly, and although it is plenty dirty, it would probably still hold up a good machine washing. I know of no other yarn that could have withstood this type of torture! To me, it is a keepsake, which will be wrapped in tissue paper, dirt and all, and carefully placed in my cedar chest.
This little sweater has quite a history. My grand-daughter wore it for a few years, during which time it remained in perfect condition. Then it was loned to a cousin who was visiting from out of state. The cousin loved it too and quickly tucked it into her suitcase to take home. Several years later, the cousin's Mother discovered it and returned it to my daughter. That was when my grandson discovered it. Oh how he loved that sweater. He wore it non-stop, rolling in a cow pasture near their home, catching it on various fences, while still riding his bike, and even over his suit at my Son's outdoor wedding, where it poured rain for hours. Luckily, orange was one of my daughter-in-law's chosen wedding colors!
My daughter's second child abused the sweater so much, that her third child was never able to wear it. New "Robin Hood Jackets" were knit for both children a few years later, but they just weren't the same, and didn't get the wearing and love that the first ones did. The small ball of leftover yarn was recently discovered in my stash, and I quickly knit it into a "Lil Pumpkin Hat" for my newest grand-daughter.  It is still the best yarn I've ever knit with!

I regularly do a search for ROWAN CORK on the internet, but I'm generally not too successful.  However, I recently scored on eBay.
6 skeins in Beige, and . . . . .
10 skeins in 50 Sour. I am so excited! I just need to figure out if I have enough to make my grandson a new "Robin Hood Jacket". It will have to wait until next year, but even though he is eight now, I'm sure he would love it. My husband wasn't too happy when the yarn arrived, as he thinks I have enough yarn for 10 knitters for the next 10 years. But then most knitters know you can never have too much yarn stashed away!

My Knit Group is finishing up a 3 month "The Poor Baby Sweater" KAL.  These are the 5 sweaters left with me for sewing in zippers.  They have all turned out so cute!  There are more, and I hope to get pictures of the rest at our next Knit Night.
The 3 little gray sweaters were knit by Erica. She has become such a great knitter. She said that everytime she was stumped by the pattern, and she couldn't reach me, she just started another one. Consequently, she now has 3 finished sweaters ready for the giving. They make such great baby shower gifts, since everyone needs a backzip, little sweater for their newborn.
Sweater #2, "Afterlight" by Amy Herzog is finished, but it needed a final blocking.  So, it is currently drying on the blocking table.  It should be ready for some photoshots for my next post.  I know . . . this one has really taken some time.

Sweater #3, "Little Wave" by Gudrun Johnson is well underway.  I have the main body knit and the right sleeve.  I'll be casting on the left sleeve (to be knit in-the-round) tonight.  It is knit from a bulky weight yarn, so it is flying off the needles.  The wave pattern is really fun to knit, once you get it established.  I'll have some pictures of my progress in my next post.

In the meantime, Spring has arrived in SLC, and we are making plans for our Summer garden, both flowers and vegies.  It is so nice to have some warmer weather and longer days.  I've been going to the park to eat my lunch each day.  I'm so impressed by the number of people who are already out running.  Cabin fever must affect us all.  Thank heavens I have knitting to keep me occupied on evenings when it is just to cold to go out for anything.  Of course, I always drag my knitting along on Summer vacations too, so the weather probably doesn't make much difference.  I should just put down my needles at lunchtime and get out of my car and do some walking myself.  I guess that will be my goal this week.  Happy Knitting!

No comments: